The Dublin Adventure

March 2018 - It's 22nd March 2018 at half past 10 in the evening, and I'm packing and wrapping, trying to fit in all the stuff I'm going to need into my red suitcase. Later on, I'll having a shower, making myself ready for bedtime, polishing my nails accurately and starting this blog post. I realise I haven't finished my post about my recent England trip yet, but hey, I do need to mention that one was pretty intense!
On Friday, 23rd March, my flight will take me to Dublin. I will stay in a hostel I never heard of before: It's called "Abrahams Hostel" and it seems to be very central and perfect for a solo traveller. I've bought a city guide and I use my Google Trips app to plan my day sightseeing tours in Dublin.

Friday, 23rd March 2018: With the excited feeling of experiencing something new and unknown, I start my journey by taking a train to the main station of my city and from there, I take the airport coach to the airport. I try to phone my mum, but she's apparently still sleeping. So I dwell in my thoughts and dreams whilst travelling to the airport and after a smooth quick security control, I reach my gate way before I actually have to. I have my German favourite childhood snack, a Bretzel, or Pretzel, as it's spelled in English. When it's time to board the aircraft, the sun is shining. I get thrilled like a child when the plane takes off, but I'm still calm enough to sleep for a while. Next to me, there's another German lady with her husband who are heading to visit their son in Dublin (the lady was in a very friendly talkative mood). As we fly over the sea, it seems to be such a long flight...

When we landed and passed border control, I took an Airlink Express into the city and luckily there's a bus stop right in front of my accommodation. I chose Abraham Hostel for this stay as all the youth hostels where already booked out. When arriving, I was greeted in a superb friendly and polite manner, I felt like being home! Breakfast is included and you get your own bed sheets upon check-in. There are mixed, female and private rooms from which you can choose to your convenience. For some light lunch to takeaway, you can go to SuperValu, an Irish supermarket chain. At 2 p.m., you can bring your stuff to your hostel room. When I brought mine, I met one of my roommates who's from Canada. Listening to Canadian and US-American country music and our mess of opened luggage, we prepared ourselves for our respective day trips.
I go out, passing Custom House, Ha'Penny Bridge, walking along Grafton Street, passing Trinity College, drinking a coke, having a cookie, lurking at Miss Selfridge.  Then I charge  my phone at Caffé Nero and have my free coffee  as my loyalty card is full and I can even use it in Ireland even though I have got from the UK. I'm anonymous in a huge crowd, a silent observer who wants to learn everything. The world is a beautiful place.
Then I walk past the National Library, the Royal College of Physicians, I enjoy College Park, had a strange experience with a weird person who wanted to steal from me, walked a dodgy street before I see Science Gallery. I enjoy pieces of art at the National Art Gallery, too. At the Spire, a demonstration takes place. I manage my way through and walk down Henry Street.

Tired, but thrilled I arrived back at the hostel.

Saturday 24th: I leave the hostel after a nice breakfast and a fire alarm incident, fresh and excited for a new day in a yet unknown city. I walk up to Diamond Park, turn left and walk through a flea market. Then I walk further, passing by Aldi, Lidl and Parnell Shopping Centre and I reach Parnell Square where the Garden of Remembrance is located.
Further up the hill after you had a tour within Dublin Writer's Museum, you can explore some exciting neighbourhoods and St. Mary's Church. Wandering Parnell Street along, you come across Jeris Street and theres another St. Mary's Church. A restaurant, bar and club. Passing Wolfetone Square and Quartier Bloom, you get to see Ha'penny Bridge and see everything in the Temple Bar District. Walking along Dame Street and after photographable impressive street arts, you'll reach City Hall and Christchurch Cathedral and Dublinia. Dublin Castle's pretty anterior is for free whereas you have to pay to see the inside. However, Dubhlinn Garden and Chester Beatty Library are free and they're very beautiful. Further west, you'll reach St Patricks cathedral and park. This park is very convenient for a summerly picnic or autumn or spring promenade. From there you can easily go back into town. Excited about the city and enjoying Dublin sun, I went further to Merrion Square with its Oscar Wilde memorial and war memorial. Went to Tescos to get some food on the go. Natural History Museum of Ireland is worth a visit and to be added to your list when you're an animal lover and nature enthusiast!
If you're someone like me who likes writing postcards to her friends from every destination she's been to, you might want to drop your cards at the General Post Office next to the Spire on O'Connell Street.

Sunday, 25th: Tired, but happy and with the desire of more - I order some coffee and a sandwich for breakfast at INSOMNIA near my hostel and finish my notes for this blog post before I take the Airlink coach to the airport.


Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

A night trip with a wonderful best friend

My first trip to the big bright city of Hereford

Beautiful, yet nasty Milan